Maharashtra minister Nawab Malik on Thursday told the Bombay High Court that he had “reasonably verified” the documents and information pertaining to Narcotics Control Bureau zonal director Sameer Wankhede before posting them on Twitter, Bar and Bench reported.
A vacation bench of Justice Madhav Jamdar was hearing a defamation suit filed by Sameer Wankhede’s father Dhyandev Wankhede, seeking damages of Rs 1.25 crore for the comments he made about his son.
During the hearing on Wednesday, the judge had asked Malik to file an affidavit stating whether he had verified the facts about the Narcotics Control Bureau officer before posting them on social media.
Malik has levelled several allegations against Sameer Wankhede, who had been investigating the Mumbai drug cruise ship case, involving Shah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan Khan, until November 5. In one of his claims, the minister alleged that Sameer Wankhede had produced a forged birth certificate to get his job under the Scheduled Caste category.
In his affidavit, Malik said that the High Court could check Sameer Wankhede’s birth certificate issued the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
In October, Malik in a series of tweets shared a purported photo from Wankhede’s first marriage to a Muslim woman named Shabana Qureshi along with their “nikah nama” or marriage certificate.
The Maharashtra minister told the High Court…